Buying and Selling Businesses
If you are considering buying or selling a business, it is important to have an expert on your side. The process of buying or selling a business involves a number of different stakeholders which all need to come together to achieve a successful outcome. Needless to say, it is a complex transaction and one that carries serious obligations for both buyers and sellers alike.
The two phases of buying and selling a business are the negotiation phase and the contract phase. Whilst it is most common for our lawyers to get involved at the contract phase, it can often be of assistance to contact us as soon as you are considering buying or selling a business before you have found a buyer or business to buy.
When acting for you in the sale or purchase of a business, during the transaction we will liaise with:
- The other party;
- The landlord (if any) to arrange for the assignment of the lease;
- The business broker;
- Your accountant to ensure that you receive the proper advice regarding any tax implications of your sale or purchase; and
- Any lender or finance broker.
Our team of commercial lawyers are experts in business transactions and can help you with everything to do with buying and selling businesses, including:
- Preparing your business for sale
- Contract negotiations
- Due diligence
- Preparing contract documentation
- Contract review and advice
- Employee entitlements
- Confidentiality agreements and restraint of trade
Because of the complex nature of these transactions and the many considerations that you need to think about regardless of whether you are buying or selling, make sure you contact our team as early as possible so that you put yourself in the best position in your transaction.